Monday 9 February 2009

I have been trying to find other artists with similar styles to Casey Howard and also been trying to research illustration techniques. During one of my research sessions i stumbled upon a webpage that had an explanation of an interesting illustration technique and an example of a piece created using this technique.








> "i take my photo, scan it into a PC and then connect that PC with a projector.
> then i just project that photo onto a special drawing board (it's an touch LCD screen that digitizes your sketch and renders a digital counterpart)
> carefully drawn the photo with the onion skin from the projector on the drawing board.

> once you're done, you'll have 2 copies, 1 will be a digital image of your sketch on Inkscape or Illustrator (got some complex methods of doing this) and the paper you just drew on.

> then play around with it and since you have a digital copy, try inking it digitally....

it's very simple, you don't need to be an artist for it... just need to know some programming, and how to hold a pencil ^^

this is similar to motion capture."

This is how the technique is explained. It is something i definitely want to try out, i would love to see if i can produce an outcome similar to the standard of these images and at the moment i am open to any suggestions of how to do so.

I know that i do have certain drawing skills already but this project (for myself) is all about developing these skills and combining them with technical skills i have yet to learn. I know a few individuals on the course have used certain computer programmes for a while and certainly know a lot more about them than myself. Obviously these people are a good source of learning and development for myself, i have already approached them and asked them to show me a thing or two on certain programmes which could be very helpful to me. Also i plan to approach the technical team within college and maybe sit in on some illustrator classes and if it is possible try and arrange a few quick one 2 one session were they can start me off with a few things they think could help and then leave me to play around and develop my skills.

No comments: